Nowadays, the trend of dyeing your hair is increasing. Everybody wants the latest shade of hair, be it the warm tones in summer or going blonde for the winters. But is it really worth the risk?
People dye their hair very commonly, but after a couple of days, they regret their decision. Not because they didn’t get their desired color, but because of the excessive hair fall that begins to happen and the brittleness of each hair strand.
Due to the increased chances of hair damage, people are turning towards demi-permanent hair dye. This dye is a less harsh version of normal hair dye.
Demi permanent hair color lasts for at least 12 washes and can stay till the 24th wash before it completely washes off. This hair dye is lighter because it is Ammonia-free, and instead of going into the hair strand, its molecules get under the outer cuticle of the hair shaft, covering it with colour.
Demi-permanent hair dye is perfect for root touch-ups, covering white or gray hairs and even for people who are skeptical on getting their hair dyed.
To get you started with what brands you can use to dye your hair, here’s a list of some of our favorites, each with their pros and cons!
1. N Rage Demi Permanente Hair Color, Twisted Teal
This hair dye is perfect for those who are looking for bold shades, ones that are difficult to attain onto darker hair. It comes in shades like red and teal.
It’s also best for the lazy ones, as it’s ready-made, so you don’t have to worry about mixing it with developers and all, just open it and apply it directly!
- Prevents breakage of hair strands
- Has keratin amino acids in it, which binds dyes to the hair, increasing its retention
- Maintains hair’s moisture
- Not available in subtle shades
- Lasts up to 3-6 weeks only
- The eye-catching teal will eventually fade, leaving your hair with a green color
2. RAW Crimson Red Demi-Permanent Hair Color
This hair dye is vegan, so anyone can literally use it! It’s 100% animal cruelty-free! Who doesn’t like a brand like that?
With that, it also has an exact formula that prevents it from irritating your eyes or skin, so you don’t have to worry about any rashes.
- Ammonia free – won’t damage your hair!
- Lasts up to 30 washes
- Easy application – dye is ready to use
- Works on all hair types, textures, and natural hair color level
- The color fades slightly after each wash
- To achieve a more intense color, hair should be bleached. Otherwise, the dye doesn’t come on as vibrant as it should
- Only available in bold and bright 8 shades
3. Clairol Natural Instincts Hair Color 35, Ebony Mocha, Brown Black 1 Kit
This is one of the best demi-permanent hair colors, as it has antioxidant properties. This prevents the formation of reactive, damaging molecules by helping to inactivate the metal ions that cause their formation.
It’s proven to leave your hair healthier after dyeing it than it was initially! It’s also super easy to apply, with its foamy formula, that prevents drippage during application.
Healthier and prettier hair, without having to clean up after applying the dye, where do I sign up?!
- Has an ammonia-free formula with aloe, vitamins, and antioxidants
- The dyes come with a coconut conditioner, helping leave your hair softer
- Available in subtle and day to day colors
- Lasts for 8 weeks
- The dye may cause skin rashes after application, in case you have sensitive skin
- The only downside to this healthy hair dye formula is that it doesn’t come in the bold fashion dye shades
4. Wella Dark Natural Brown Demi Permanent Hair Color 3N-3/0 Dark Natural Brown, 2 oz
This demi-permanent dye is mostly opted by people who need to touch up their previous dye. It helps refresh the faded color, adding richness to the initial shade!
The tube is ample enough to use twice so that you can use it once, and shut the lid and store it for when your hair fades, and use it again to touch up the original shade.
- Comes in subtle colors – making your hair seem natural
- Perfectly covers up gray and white hairs
- It’s ammonia-free, so very low chances of getting rashes
- The formula is very gentle on the hair, hence preventing any imminent damage to the hair
- It fades gradually
- Not ready to use – you’ll have to use a developer to make the dye
5. Ion Intensive Shine 6RC Dark Copper Blonde Demi Permanent Creme Hair Color 6RC Dark Copper Blonde
This demi-permanent hair dye comes in a wide range of shades, perfect to choose from in any season – be it subtle warm tones, to brighter shades for the summers.
It’s an easy to use dye that you can develop according to your desire – add more dye in the developer for a darker color or add a lesser amount if you’re looking for a lighter shade! You do you with this dye!
- Gives a non-artificial look, making your hair seem natural
- The formula gives your hair a great shine – reflections seen
- Perfect to use for sensitive scalps – prevents any rashes
- Not ready to use – you have to prepare the color yourself
- Does NOT come with a developer – you’ll have to purchase that separately in order to prepare the dye
6. Schwarzkopf Professional Igora Vibrance Demi-Permanent Tone on Tone Hair Color (3-0 Dark Brown Natural)
This dye is durable, so it will come on any hair texture and any hair color. All the while, it is not damaging your hair.
Its know to give a shine to your hair too, making it look healthy and productive.
- A good option for color correction
- Decent price – won’t cause a kidney
- You can apply the dye yourself – you can save time and money of going to a salon for the application
- Not ready to use – you have to form the dye yourself
- Does NOT come with a developer
- The colors that come on your hair sometimes vary from the shade advertised (although that can be due to your original hair color and texture!)
7. LOREAL Dialight Acidic Demi-permanent Hair Colour System Gel-creame Color 8/8N
L’oreal being a big and international brand, never fails to disappoint. Its hair dyes come in all sorts of shades, and the best part about this one is that it’s light on the hair.
It helps in root touch-ups too, as it covers up to 50 white hair strands. The dye has a healthy formula that doesn’t damage your hair and has oils that add a shine to your hair too.
- The gel-like the formula – prevents drippage during application
- Elevates natural color acting as a shine treatment for your hair
- Contains Apricot Kernel Oil, helping prevent hair fall and locks in the shade to your hair
- Not ready to use – you need to formulate the dye with a developer
- Does not have bold and bright colors included in this range
8. Kenra DEMI Permanent 8RoM – Blonde Rose Metallic Hair Color
This dye is well-known for its shine and its rich color formula, which gives a rugged look to all sorts of hair types.
It is a popular choice for many people because it has multiple shades – include colorful fashion dyes, the most famous being a metallic rose shade.
- The color comes on strong – so you get the exact color you’re looking for
- Natural gray coverage up to 75%
- Ammonia free
- Gives an instant and intense shine after dyeing your hair
- Doesn’t stay on for too long – fades quickly
- The shade during the fading period is NOT pretty! I don’t think anyone wants their pink hair to begin to look golden and orange after each wash.
Now you know the secret behind each of Katy Perry’s extravagant hair colors in her music videos – Demi-permanent hair dyes!
You can now frequently dye your hair with different shades each time so you can have a new look each time, all the while not having to worry about hair fall!